Get your Nitric Acid by rail, road or waterway
We oversee the end-to-end supply chain for Nitric Acid, from producing the base chemicals to unloading it at your site. That is why when you choose Yara you can be assured of high-quality product and safe delivery.
- Adherence to the most stringent regulations – throughout the whole supply chain, we meet all regulations which relate to the supply and transfer of Nitric Acid.
- ISO and OHSAS-certified plants – our plants have ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certification.
- Guidance on how to store Nitric Acid – we work with you to ensure high safety standards on product handling and storage.
- Inspecting your unloading station – as part of our Product Stewardship responsibilities, we’ll ensure your unloading station is safe and suitable for Nitric Acid.
Once on your site, we'll provide you with clear instructions for handling and using Nitric Acid to ensure a safe work environment for you and your co-workers.
How Nitric Acid can be used
Nitric Acid is used in many industrial applications for its oxidizing or acidic qualities, including:
- The production of nitrogen products intended mainly for fertilization – read more about crop nutrition
- Adipic acid-intermediate of nylon 6,6 chemistry, used in the production of artificial fibers, nylon yarns and plastic parts for automobiles
- Polyurethanes (MDI and TDI): insulation, foams, paints and coatings
Get in touch if you’d like specification sheets for these or other applications.
How we produce Nitric Acid
Nitric Acid is a clear, yellow liquid with a strong odor. To produce it, we start with ammonia, which is also produced in our own plants.
- The ammonia is oxidized on platinum webs, producing nitrous gases such as NO2.
- These gases are then absorbed in water.
- From this, we get weak Nitric Acid (W-NA) which is up to 68% (azeotrope).
- Through a rectification process we increase the concertation up to 99% concentrated Nitric Acid (C-NA).
Since our weak Nitric Acid is produced from gases – ammonia and air – it is very pure and does not contain heavy metals.
Why choose Yara?