Feed Grade Urea
Urea can help stem weight loss through improved rumen function in cattle when grazing feed quality is poor.
Why use Feed Urea?
- Ruminants can use non-protein nitrogen (NPN) to synthesize microbial protein with high biological value.
- NPN is an efficient alternative to proteins.
- Urea = 46 % Nitrogen = 288 % crude protein.
- Soluble protein should be balanced in ruminant rations to allow maximum microbial growth thus microbial protein synthesis.
source: FAO, EFSA
Feed Grade Urea is classified as a feed additive and in the EU is approved by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) as safe for animal consumption.
It has been fed to dairy and beef cattle with successful results for over 70 years and is the most commonly used source of non-protein nitrogen (NPN).
Rumisan Feed Grade Urea
Rumisan is Yara's brand of Feed Grade Urea. It is a solid white prill with an even round shape and cows like the taste of our Urea.
Advantages of using Rumisan
- Profitability – Proven increase in profitability, thanks to lower feeding cost.
- Sustainability – Reduced need for vegetable proteins, contributing to reduce the need of arable land.
- Low protein – Boosts microbial protein synthesis in low true protein diets.
- High energy – Excellent results in energy dense feeds (i.e. corn silage), but low in protein.
- Peace of mind – Ensures correct protein intake when fed on protein-deficient diets.
Global reach, traceable product
We leverage our scale and expertise to specifically produce completely traceable and pure Feed Grade Urea in dedicated plants in:
- Le Havre, France
- Brunsbüttel, Germany
- Belle Plaine, Canada
Yara Le Havre and Yara Brunsbüttel have implemented and maintain a Feed Safety Management System. This includes good manufacturing practice (GMP) in compliance with the FAMI-QS Code of Practice for Feed Additives operators for the marketing, production, warehousing, and packaging of Feed Additives.
South Africa source feed grade urea is available from a joint venture company, QAFCO based in Qatar.
Our production process
Our product range
Optimize digestion in the dry season
Save cost of protein supplementation while maintaining animal productivity and health during periods of lower feedstuff availability. Read more on Yara’s feed urea as efficient protein alternative.