September 02, 2021
Ammonia bunkering technology company Azane Fuel Solutions and project partners receives public funding for World’s first green ammonia bunkering terminal
Sept 2, 2021 - Sandefjord, Norway
World’s First Green Ammonia Terminal Receives Large Governmental Grant
The project partners, spanning the entire value chain for ammonia as a marine fuel, will develop and demonstrate an ammonia fuel bunkering network for ships, enabling cost efficient and safe distribution, storage, transfer and utilization of ammonia as a carbon free fuel.
With this public funding the project is on track to be the first in the World to pilot ammonia bunkering operations – taking the first step to enable a large-scale shift to carbon free fuel for ships.
- The Norwegian government established the “Green platform Initiative” program to help lift exactly this type of innovative project. Ammonia is important for the green transition, especially for the shipping industry. We will decrease emissions, not development, says Sveinung Rotevatn, Norwegian Minister of Climate and the Environment.
- Minister of Trade and Industry Iselin Nybø (V) comments: Congratulations to Azane Fuel Solutions on such a large allocation from the Green Platform. The government's wish has been that we use the crisis to speed up the green shift as well. This project can give us the world's first bunkering terminal for green ammonia fuel for ships. This is a green change in practice and the business community is leading the way.
- Azane Fuel Solutions will develop, build and operate the first bunkering terminal in a Norwegian port, under real conditions. This first green ammonia terminal will be an important enabler for international adoption of ammonia fuel, says Miriam T. Wennberg, CFO at ECONNECT Energy.
- We are removing the famous chicken-and-egg dilemma for new fuels. Ammonia already has a global bulk terminal network. Now we will start building the bunkering network, says André Risholm, CEO at Amon Maritime and Chairman at Azane Fuel Solutions.
- This grant is an important milestone for the project, says Magnus Krogh Ankarstrand, President Yara Clean Ammonia. Developing bunkering solutions is a key piece of the puzzle to make ammonia available as a zero-emission fuel. Yara is excited to be a part of the project and leverage our global ammonia production and shipping experience.
Green Ammonia fuel pioneers
Azane Fuel Solutions are developing flexible ammonia fuel bunkering terminals to remove the existing barriers for implementing ammonia fuel. The new solutions will be capable of receiving fuel from ships, trucks and barges, in refrigerated or pressurised state and be optimised for ammonia-fuelled ships. The solutions include both shore-based solution and floating solution.
Azane Fuel Solutions will offer its products and services globally and see the Northern European market as a likely early adopter of ammonia fuel for the maritime industry. There will be a substantial market potential on a global scale as the larger international deep-sea shipping market adopts the new fuel.
“Ammonia Fuel Bunkering Network” project partners
ECONNECT Energy is an independent Norwegian technology company assisting the midstream, downstream and maritime markets with the IQuay® floating transfer terminal. The IQuay® solution features a game-changing floating jettyless system for loading, discharge and bunkering of i.a. LNG, hydrogen, ammonia and CO2 (CCUS) without the need for invasive, time-and cost-intensive fixed marine infrastructure. With innovative technology ECONNECT Energy is committed to expanding clean, sustainable and climate-positive energy solutions globally.
Stian Magnusson, Chief Innovation Officer
Ph: +47 404 80 061
Amon Maritime are zero emission ship project specialists, focused on ammonia fuel. Established in 2019 by founders with strong backgrounds from complex ship newbuilding projects from idea to operations, expert knowledge of gas engines, fuel supply, zero emission solutions and innovative ship designs. Amon Maritime is one of the founding partners in Viridis Bulk Carriers, together with Navigare Logistics and Mosvolds Rederi.
André Risholm, Chief Executive Officer
Ph: +47 9202 6668